Hair Transplant is a medical technique developed to fight hair loss and boldness. Along with genetic background; prescription drugs, various diseases, incorrect nutrition, age and gender are factors in the hair loss problem.
Hair Transplant is a medical technique developed to fight hair loss and boldness.
Along with genetic background; prescription drugs, various diseases, incorrect nutrition, age and gender are factors in the hair loss problem.
Contrary to popular belief, women also suffer from hair loss and boldness, and luckily hair transplantation is a mutual solution method for both genders.
With the help of the ever evolving modern advancements, hair transplant technology fights with hair loss and boldness with incurring new hair growth and prevent from re-losing these newly grown hair with new solutions. In order to achieve the best and the most permanent results, solely chemical and mostly cosmetic interventions should be refrained from, and the real focus should be laid on operative surgical procedures. The failure and inefficiency of the chemical treatments can be explained with the following reasons;
- Chemical treatments offer the same compounds for all people, they do not offer unique solutions to individuals with different problems. How often a person’s hair loss pattern, hair type, skin type and all other contributing factors are mutual with another? Mass produced chemical treatments cannot aim to improve everyone’s specific problems.
- Strong chemical treatments cause skin irritation after a certain period of time.
- No real/permanent data has been gathered that is a result of the chemical hair loss treatments.
You can say in layman’s terms that if the anti-wrinkle/anti-aging creams really worked, no one would be getting botox or facelifts at all. It should be added that these chemical “miracles” are not cheap either and in the end the person ends up with wasted money, most probably a skin rash and no change on their hair.
On the other hand, if the person prefers the hair transplant technique, all operations are individual specific- as each patient is solely evaluated on their own conditions thus offering a unique solution to their condition and most importantly the results are guaranteed and permanent while being considerably cheaper on the long run. Hair transplant operations can be carried out on both males and females using only local anesthesia, and they are surgical operations not only cosmetic remedies. It can be done on sections where all hair has fallen out without any re-growth and also on section where hair thinning has begun partially. As the transplanted hair follicles are from the patient’s own hair, the result of the operation lasts a lifetime.
Hair transplant is a conclusive and permanent solution to hair loss and boldness.
Important Notes To Consider and Factors That Make The Hair Transplant Operation a Successful One
- The afterwards care of the hair transplant is equally, or even more so, important than the hair transplant procedure. The patient should follow the guidelines perfectly to get the best results and therefore should be persistent and careful.
- If FUE or DHI techniques will be used, the patient should note their hair will be shaven down to 3 mm. They should consider the effect in case it interferes with their social or work life.
- The hair growth direction will need to be considered when planting the micro-grafts as it is very important to get the best solutions and the aimed visual appearance.
- One of the most important issues in hair transplant is determining the front hairline. The pre-surgery photos help with the decision of setting the hairline and the hair transplant is carried out accordingly. It is advised to keep the front hairline in a crooked line and not a straight one; and if the single follicles are used on this area the result will be even more natural looking.
- In order to avoid any oversight of the hair canals and to make use of all the possible hair canals, a meticulous and careful operation is required. This is the main reason for the relatively long operation time.
- The actual bonding of the hair follicles into the hair canals occur in the first 7-10 days after the surgery, this period is especially important in terms of guarding the transplanted hair so that the bonding does not get affected.
How Is the Hair Transplant Surgery Conducted?
There are three hair transplant methods that are proven to be successful, and this section will focus on the most popular technique FUE – Follicular Unit Extraction- hair transplant operation steps as the most of the steps are mutual with the other two methods and will be mentioned in their respective sections.
- Room the surgery will need to take place will need to be sterilized and fully equipped as the operation room.
- A helping team of at least two people should work alongside a doctor.
- The steps in the operation are;
- The patient’s head is photographed from different angles and then the hair is trimmed down to 3 mm in length.
- The patient is prepped for local anesthesia
- As the hair at the back of the head is naturally programmed to resist falling off, they are the ones that will be harvested and re-planted onto the patient. Which exact section of the head will be targeted is determined prior to surgery.
- A curved scalpel is used to harvest the micro-grafts and are assorted based on the nature under a microscope.
- Harvesting the micro-grafts will take a couple of hours during which the patient will be lying face-down.
- A small break for the patient and the hair transplant team can be given between the harvesting and the planting phases. The patient can have a rest and eat a meal during the break.
- The micro-grafts are planted onto the target area of the head after opening up tiny holes under the effect of local anesthesia. To clarify a second local anesthesia will be applied before the planting phase.
- The planting phase will take approximately 2-4 hours, during which the patient can lay on their back with a slightly elevated head. As they are only under the effect of local anesthesia, the patient can watch TV, listen to music, chat or simply surf on their phone.
- When the planting phase is completed, the planted area is left un-covered. The harvested section is treated and medically dressed and covered. There might a mild discomfort on this section on the following days.
Pre-operative Instructions for Hair Transplant
- As it interferes with the scar healing, smoking is advised to be quit 2 months prior to the surgery. Additionally, in order to avoid any problems with the anesthesia it is vital that the patient should not smoke 24 hours before the surgery.
- Avoid using anti-depressants, aspirin and/or similar blood thinners 1 week prior to surgery and they should not be used until instructed by your doctor. Any prescription drugs that treat chronic conditions should be checked with the attending physician. Vitamin B and E intake should be stopped two weeks prior to operation as well.
- Alcohol consumption should be stopped at least 1 week prior to surgery.
- On the day before the surgery do not apply any medications or ointments onto your scalp or hair. You can wash your hair but nothing else can be done to the hair or the scalp.
- The patient should not be going under hair transplant surgery with an empty stomach, a healthy meal should be consumed before the surgery.
- Coffee and caffeine containing drinks should be avoided starting from the day before the surgery.
- Comfortable clothes that are easy to remove and would not have contact with the patient’s head while putting on and removing should be chosen on the day of the surgery.
Post-Operative Instructions and What to Expect After Hair Transplant Operations
- In the first week after the surgery the scalp is especially prone to infections and therefore several precautions should be taken to avoid any problems;
- The patient cannot wash their hair for 48 hours after the surgery, it is standard procedure and highly recommended that the first wash after the surgery is carried out at the hair transplant clinic.
- The patient should stay away from unhygienic and dusty places.
- The hats that will be worn to avoid sun or rain should not be very tight.
- No chemicals should be applied to the scalp under no circumstances.
- The patient should use the special oil and take the prescribed medication by the attending physician in the advised period of time.
- After the first wash, which hopefully will be done at the hair transplant clinic, the patient should wash their hair every day for ten days with the special shampoos specifically designed for hair transplants.
- In these washes, extra care and attention should be paid to the hair and the scalp, no harsh treatments should be involved. The washes should be carried out sensitively, the towel that will be used must be extra soft and the towel should be applied to the hair and the scalp in a slow and careful manner.
- Labor intensive work and stress should be avoided.
- Hair dryers should not be used unless absolutely necessary.
- While sleeping, the pillow should not come in contact with the top of the head where the transplanted hairs are.
- In the first week, scab occurrence and redness on the hair roots is normal and not to be worried about. Consequent itchiness is also normal and with the use of advised spray medicine the itchiness can be avoided.
- Within approximately 4 weeks following the operation the transplanted hair will fall out, this is part of the expected outcome and there is no reason to panic or stress. The initially grown hair are weak and they only lay the ground for the new hair. The hair loss period might be more or less than 4 weeks depending on the person. In this period;
- The patient should not use any pool facilities or go sea bathing.
- Only scissors should be used for hair trimming.
- Hair must not be dyed under any circumstances.
- Hair shaping products of any kind or hair dryers must not be used as they will damage the scalp.
- No use of hot water while taking a bath or shower, the hair should be washed only with lukewarm water.
- In the 6-month period, regular massaging of the scalp and regular use of the prescribed medicine are extremely important.
- Being patient and not stressing about the outcome of the hair are crucial in the recovery period. It will take time for the new, stronger hair to grow; getting worried or becoming demotivated will have adverse effects on the final outcome.
- The re-growth of the fallen out hairs will take a few weeks.
- In the following 6 to 8 months, 70% of the expected hair growth will be achieved.
- The complete hair growth after the hair transplant will be achieved at the end of 18 months.
- At the end of 3 months, there will be no visible scars on the scalp related to the operation.
Get A Free Consultatıon
If you have any questions about our treatments, please feel free to contact us to find the answers. We will be happy to help you.