Rhinoplasty sometimes also referred to as a “nose job”, is the surgical operation which aims to improve the appearance and the function of the nose.
Rhinoplasty can be applied alongside septoplasty, concha bullosa surgery and sinus surgery (FESS-Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery).
If the person is satisfied with the appearance of the nose but is suffering from breathing problems, the septoplasty procedure, which only intervenes with the internal cartilage/bone related deviation (crookedness) of the nose, can be applied. The nose appearance does not change in septoplasty.
Everyone who is over 18, with a satisfactory overall health, can have rhinoplasty. The minimum age for males and females can differ based on their facial anatomical progression.
After the surgical candidate’s initial nasal examination, their requests are discussed and with the help of software analysis; the optimum nose shape is determined.
Even though it varies for each patient and the size and nature of the deformity in the nose, rhinoplasty surgery takes about 2-3 hours on average. Contrary to popular belief, there would be no major discomfort or pain after rhinoplasty. The patient can begin to receive meals in liquid form 3 hours after surgery. Mild bruising and swelling might occur under eyes, which first increase in the first 3 days and will begin to decrease and slowly fade away after the fourth day of the surgery.
On day 7 after surgery, the second post-operative examination is carried out, the cast on the nasal bridge is removed, as well as the external stitches.
Pre-operative Instructions for Rhinoplasty
- Avoid using aspirin and/or similar blood thinners 1 week prior to surgery and they should not be used until instructed by your doctor.
- No eating or drinking 6 hours before the surgery including drinking water. In
- In case of a prescribed medicine, it can be consumed with a small amount of water under the supervision of your physician.
- The patient should arrive at the hospital at least 2 hours prior to the surgery, certain blood tests will be done at this time.
- Menstruation is not a restriction for the women not to have the surgery.
- You should be dressed comfortably, not put on any make up or apply hair products onto your hair on the day of the surgery and please do not bring your valuable belongings like jewelry and watches, to the hospital.
- As it interferes with the scar healing, smoking is advised to be quit 2 months prior to the surgery. Additionally, in order to avoid any problems with the anesthesia it is vital that the patient should not smoke 24 hours before the surgery.
Post-Operative Instructions for Rhinoplasty
- Avoid using glasses or sunglasses for at least 4 weeks after the surgery.
- Avoid getting direct sunlight and wear at least 30 SPF sunscreens.
- Refraining from consuming high sodium products to help with the swelling which will occur after surgery. Consuming high fiber foods will help the patient to avoid constipation.
- High energy requiring activities like excessive exercising, jogging etc. should be avoided.
- The patient should not blow their nose.
- Taking baths should be preferred to taking showers.
Get A Free Consultatıon
If you have any questions about our treatments, please feel free to contact us to find the answers. We will be happy to help you.